The Médiacité ice rink in Liège is:
1,800m² of fun and skating in the heart of the shopping centre. Everyone grab your skates, there’s fun guaranteed at the Liège skating rink!
With this public skating rink built on a floor slab covering more than 4,500 m², the City of Liège is now the only city in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation to have an Olympic infrastructure (30m x 60m skating rink) dedicated to all ice sports. It is a realisation with a high technical added value, which is the work of the Escaut architectural office and the Weinand design office.
The layout of the hall is designed to offer optimum comfort and excellent visibility to more than 1,200 potential spectators who will be able to watch the competitions and various events taking place on the 60-metre long track. The sound system and lighting have been particularly well thought-out. Upstairs, a cafeteria offers the public the opportunity to quench their thirst while enjoying a panoramic view of the sporting activities.
Covered with aluminium slates, the silver structure is in itself already evocative of the cold. Standing out in the heart of the district and next to the belly-shaped and colourful structure of Médiacité, the ice rink evokes for some a huge ice cube, for others a retro refrigerator.
Activities on the ice:
At the skating rink, everything has been done to satisfy different activities on the ice:
- “Ice Garden” for families and the very little;
- Courses for children;
- Themed days and evenings;
- Free ice hockey in a secured area of the track (on reservation with loan of equipment);
- Organisation of seminars, birthday celebrations, etc.
On the equipment side:
- 900 pairs of comfortable, top-of-the-range skates are available for hire. These skates are stored on heated racks ensuring perfect cleanliness and hygiene of the boots.
- Educational learning kits will help even the most novice skaters in their first experiences on the ice, not only in the Ice Garden but also for the public.
- The new electric ice resurfacer will ensure impeccable ice quality.
The ice rink in figures:
4,500 square metres: the base floor slab.
1,276: potential spectators in the heated bleachers.
60m: the length of the track.
72m³: the volume of the ice layer.
480 bathtubs of 150 litres: what this volume represents.
6,000 refrigerators: equivalent to the production of the 2 compressors. Their heat is recovered to supply the changing rooms with hot water.
24cm: the thickness of the entire insulation of the building in rock wool.
K22: the coefficient of the energy performance achieved. Less than half of the maximum required standard.
5 euros: the entrance fee for an adult (reductions for children, students, etc.). 3 euros: the rental price of a pair of new skates.
15 euros/hour: the cost of the City's participation in favour of sports clubs.
The Liège Olympic ice rink is frequented by several sports clubs which will have state-of-the-art equipment, including:
- Bulldogs Ice Hockey Club of the City of Liège
- RCAE hockey
- Funny Ice (recreational hockey) & Sledge Hockey (hockey for people with reduced mobility)
- Liège Artistic Skaters' Circle
|Wednesday||08:30 - 12:00 // 14:15 - 18:30|
|Thursday||08:30 - 12:00 // 13:30 - 16:30|
|Friday||08:30 - 12:00 // 13:30 - 18:30 // 21:00 - 23:00|
|Saturday||11:15 - 18:00|
|Sunday||14:00 - 18:00|